Contributors

Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Small Daily Traditions

Vacations and milestones are awesome, but the daily rituals are what I think is really shaping the kids.  Here's a collection of some of the ones I want to remember when I'm 60.  OR just when I'm 32.

  • Exiting the bath:   5 4 3 2 1 Blastoff - I hold Griff in a towel and lift him out of the tub and over my head.  He has to deploy his "wings" before I will commence the launch sequence.  For a while there was a rocket malfunction and I had to lift the disabled craft over the edge of the tub with the "service crane."  Thankfully that phase has passed.
  • Pee in the middle of dinner.  I think because he doesn't stop very often this is the first time in a few hours each day that he actually considers bladder status.  And then we dismiss him from the table and he walks the long way around the house to get to the bathroom by himself.  Usually one of us will check on him a few minutes later to make sure he didn't fall in.
  • Tightest tightest tightest tightest hug and kiss from Mom when he goes to bed
  • Brushing teeth - gotta get all six spots!
  • In the car seat "I wanna do the big buckle!"
  • Before the bath:  to expedite undressing, the reward for doing so is the honor of dropping the colored bath tablets in the water.
We love you, three year old Griff.  So much.

No comments:

Post a Comment