- Swimming in the pools at the Hilton Grand Vacations, International Drive. There was one big one and one smaller one. I like to take him "waterskiing", where he stands on my kneecaps and I pull him around the pool by his oustretched arms, walking backwards on the bottom myself.
- Four trips to Sea World. The longest one was about 4 hours. We still have to work around nap time for both Griff and Vera.
- He rode the shamu roller coaster (its a kiddie coaster) twice - once with Mom and once with me.
- Best dolphin show we've seen to date (Our second and third time seeing it)
- Puke. For the first two days, he was pretty sick and barely eating. Upshot: he's really good at identifying when he's about to throw up now, and made it to the toilet most times.
- Breakfast with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, and Goofy at the Contemporary Resort at Disney World. This was our third trip to Orlando with Griff, and he has yet to actually enter any of the parks there.
- New crocs (lego style) for when he outgrows his current ones. Also new Jibbits - Tigger from Winnie the pooh and spongebob pirate.
- Sharing a room with Vera. When she wasn't sleeping well, we watched on the monitor as he climbed out of his king sized bed and went to give her a hug over the pack-and-play wall. "Its okay Vera."
- Snuggling to sleep with Mom. And Snuggling to sleep with Dad. When sickness and insomnia got the best of our two-bedroom suite, we just swapped roommates and Griff slept with either Vicki or I.
Monday, December 30, 2013
Dad, what's that thing on you that has you on it? (it was my corporate ID, still clipped to my belt)
---Its an ID card I use to get in and out of my office, like a key
Why don't you take it off and not use it to get into your office and then you can stay home all day with me?
Do you know why we can smell things from far away mom?
---Its because of particles, right? (Thinking of Sid the Science Kid)
No Mom, they're minicules (he got it confused with molecules).
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Griff and I have been reading "one grain of rice", a story that aunt kate gave him about a peasant indian girl who outsmarts a raja by asking for one grain of rice, then two the second day, doubling each day for a month.
Griff has been asking repeat doubling questions:
"What does one and one make dad?"
"What does two and two make?"
Tonight we got to 16,384. It took me a second to do the adding, and Griffin said the full number "eight thousand one hundred and ninety-two" twice with no prompting. I'm raising a nerd. A curious adorable nerd. And I love it.
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Thursday, November 28, 2013
Monday, November 25, 2013
I took Griff out for frozen yogurt last night. Between bites I asked if there was anything mom and I could do to be better parents. He thought for a second, swallowed a big bite of brownie flavored froyo, and said,
"Maybe more higs and kisses would be good"
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
We (all four of us) went to the ymca for family open swim last night. From 5 to 6 pm. It was Vicki's idea and it was a good one since I am travelling for work the next three days. Griff enthusiastically swam up to me and said "dad can we play Simba and Raffiki?" Anytime little man. Anytime.
Monday, November 18, 2013
Vicki and I lose our tempers with Griff sometimes. Sometimes he's just crazy. Sometimes, like saturday morning, he starts off whiny and it just gets worse.
Vicki woke up early and thought it would be nice to take Griff to Starbucks for a little mommy/son time. His clothes weren't laid out so he had to get some from the dresser and that set it off. He wanted the shirt that was in the laundry. He didn't want to get dressed. He didn't want to go to Starbucks. Well, so he said in his whiniest voice, which is a pet peeve for both Vicki and I. After some threats to leave without him, Vicki left without him (good move sweet angel!). I got out of bed and tried to be calm. He finally got dressed and cleaned up his trains so that he could come down for breakfast....45 minutes after Vicki went in there. I thought i was going to keep it together. Three whiny comments into breakfast, I did not. "But I don't want honey bunches of oats" (total BS - he loves them). Now it was time for me to follow through on my anti-whining threat. Upstairs with screaming kid on shoulders. Place him in bed. Walk away. It was a new record in frustrated parenting. Both of us in under an hour.
We turned it around. After Vicki left for girls day out, he went for another time out. I told him (amongst other things in a very two-way, very grown up conversation about his motivations) to think about what we were going to do to turn the day around when his time out was over. When I came back five minutes later, he was more calm and said "Daddy can we build a fort please?"
So we did. Big time. It was the best one we've ever made. I set it up so that we could watch TV in there, but we never did. Music lesson on his keyboard. Puzzle. A long game of SpotIt. We ate lunch in there. And Vera and I hung out in there for a few hours while Griff was napping. Success.
Thursday, November 7, 2013
Letter A: Griff and I made "an alien out of aluminum foil, who ate apples".
Letter B: Griff brought in a stuffed bear named Davis.
Letter D: (today) A dinosaur, "a ceratosaurus who is orange on top and yellow on the bottom".
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Monday, October 14, 2013
Thursday, October 10, 2013
Monday, October 7, 2013
Sunday, October 6, 2013
"Daddy you know what what? This tastes so good i can't stop eating it"
Saturday, October 5, 2013
Friday, October 4, 2013
Saturday, September 28, 2013
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Griff did the whole process himself last night. The three things I was still involved in were filling the bath tub, getting his toothbrush and toothpaste down from the high medicine cabinet, and reading to him.
He single handedly went up stairs, got undressed and in the bath, scrubbed himself (including washing his own hair!), got out of the tub, brushed his teeth, peed,put his dirty clothes away, picked out pajamas, got dressed, picked out a book, and climbed in bed.
Its very gratifying, time saving, and nostalgia inducing. He grows up so fast.
Friday, September 13, 2013
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Friday, September 6, 2013
Griffin has a tendency to overreact and he is bit dramatic sometimes. I wonder where he gets this? (Like father, like son)
I just snapped this picture of him after he was fooling around on Vera's high chair and stepped off funny. I showed him the picture and he didn't like that I was laughing. He said, "Mom, I didn't want you to take that picture. Die that picture,
Sunday, September 1, 2013
Sunday, August 4, 2013
Friday, August 2, 2013
2. breaded cod (we were having fish tacos)
4. orange peppers (he loves these now)
5. orzo salad (with red onion, peas, and celery)
6. broccoli spinach stromboli
...and the food adventure continues.
Thursday, August 1, 2013
Sunday, July 28, 2013
Monday, July 8, 2013
"I drink milk so I can be strong like Super man and have bumps on my belly."
He's got Super hero t-shirts and tons of super hero underwear. The boys at school all pretend they are batman or flash or the hulk etc. every morning. He wears super hero tattoos, band-aids, and stickers. I fueled the fire by getting him some justice league socks.
There are worse things to be addicted to. And he's never actually seen these guys on TV or movies or even real comic books. At least, not at our house....