Contributors

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Word: "Mama"

Griffin's first word was "Mama". He said it when he was just over 7 months old. Pretty classic first word, no surprises, though I secretly hoped it'd be "Dada".

It's been about 3 weeks now that he's been mumbling this, but I never knew when to call it official. There just wasn't that one distinctly magical moment, like I had always pictured in my mind. I imagined that my baby boy would look up at me with his big brown eyes, and in his adorably innocent voice, he'd perfectly pronounce the word, "Mama". And once my virgin ears were exposed to that sweet first word, my scarred memory of 36 hours of horrendous labor would suddenly disappear leaving a pile of magical fairy dust sparkling in sunshine... Unfortunately, that didn't happen-

About 3 weeks ago, I started hearing Griff mumble "mama ma". I wasn't sure if he was really referring to me when he said it, or if that counted, or what!? Sometimes he would just talk to himself and would describe everything in sight as "Mama mamammama", but sometimes it would really seem like he was saying it to me. There have also been a few times where he's actually said "Mom". On recent mornings I've heard him in his crib call out "Mama" and I've been interpreting that as "Hey Mom, get out of bed and come see me, I'm awake!!" So, it's official: Griffin said his first word and is now on his path to full on verbal communication. We're working hard on mastering "Da da" and the closest I've gotten is "Ba ba", so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment