Contributors

Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

Another year, another Mother's Day.  Tom did much better this year at helping me celebrate (he got the first year of this blog printed in book form as my gift, filled out some entries that I had missed and added in a sweet message of his own). Despite having to leave in the morning for a work trip (worst timing ever, but not his fault), he redeemed himself from last year's Mother's Day debacle/re-do. 


After our family breakfast at Starbucks (there's nothing better than enjoying a venti vanilla soy no foam latte and toasted butter croissant with the two people who made it possible for me to even celebrate Mother's Day- Tom & Griff), things got a little inconvenient, dramatic, and stressful:  I got my period (I know, TMI, sorry, at least I'm not knocked up!), which was accompanied by a pile of crazy lady hormones that took their toll on me big time throughout the latter part of the day.  Griff was a little out of sorts, red cheeked with slight temp (99.2) which is common for him when teething.  After his blink of a morning nap, the two of us got out of the house for a change of scenery and to use up some leftover carnival tickets at Devereux Beach.  We had a spin on the merry-go-round, and got dizzy on the big golden bus ride.  We stopped at Baby Gap to buy some not so practical, but unbelievably cute sun dresses for Bump Vytopil (the cute baby girl clothes increased my "I want to have another baby" scale from a 3 to a 3.8 on a scale of 1-10..), and exchanged Red Box DVDs (returned Love and Other Drugs, rented The Switch).  By 2pm, I got my exhausted little guy back for what I thought was going to be a nice solid nap, but 40 minutes later, poor Griffin was an awake/clingy/whiny/ sack of hot potatoes.  His "teething" symptoms had turned into a full blown 102.2 fever.  Bummer!  I was so convinced the rest of my day was ruined, that I promptly burst into ridiculous hormonal I'm-alone-on-Mother's-Day-tears when I stepped out of my car in Pat's driveway with cupcakes and hot dogs in hand.  All of us abandoned Moms hung out for a playdate and dinner.  In the 2 hours we were at Pat's, Tylenol and fresh air seemed to cure Griff, as he was back to himself and fully recovered by bath time.  (BTW, what kind of lamo fever only lasts 2 hours!?)  Anyway, once my sweet boy was in bed, I called Tom's Mom and chatted a while, then housed a few more chocolate cupcakes and spent the rest of my evening hanging out with Jennifer Anniston and Jason Bateman.

Overall, the day was harder than I hoped it would be, complicated, a little tiring, but it turned out ok in the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment