Contributors

Friday, April 20, 2012

Like Mom, Like Son

This happened last week:

For about 15 minutes post dinner, Griffin walked around the house with a pile of half chewed carrots in his mouth.  The carrots were going no where fast.  When I wasn't watching, Griff walked into the kitchen, pulled open his tupperware drawer, which is where we store his bin of hand wipes, took out some hand wipes, spit out his mouthful of carrots, and left them on the floor. 

When I found the carnage, I laughed as this reminded me of myself as a kid when my parents used to make me sit at the table until I completely cleared my plate (a rule I will never enforce).  Unfortunately, I remember sitting at the table for upwards of 2.5 hours alone with large piles of dried/ABC (Already-Been-Chewed) meats in the side pockets of my cheeks.  I used to "have to go to the bathroom" during dinner, where I'd spit my unwanted food into the toilet... or there were also times when my mom finished washing the dishes and as soon as she left the kitchen, I'd cleverly throw my veggies or meat out in an empty milk carton in the trash... Once I vividly remember getting caught red handed, and my mom made me eat all of the milky cold watercrest or spinach or whatever gross greens they were... it was so nasty.

Anyway, it's funny to see Griffin even begin to use these "tricky" tactics, like when he gets put down for bed at nigh,t and as soon as the lights are off and the door is shut, I hear him shout, "Moommmmy, I have to pee on my potty!", which of course, I fell for once. 

I like that Griffin is a little like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment