Contributors

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Misseur Wee Wee vs. Lovie

vs.

Exhibit A: Misseur Wee Wee


Est 1982, my treasured security blanket, originally a grey towel with blue and brown flowers printed on it, has evolved into a tattered but well loved wad of soft fabric protected by a warn orange fleece sleeve. As a toddler, I was addicted to rubbing the corner tag between my fingers, and once that fell off, it became the edges of the blanket that I had to rub on my fingers or mouth. I brought it everywhere (still sorta do), and thinner and thinner he got (yes, he has a gender). When my Mom passed away, I cut 1/5 of it off and rolled it up and put it with her in her casket. About 8(?) years ago, in an attempt to do some damage control to all the shredding, I tied it into knots. During one of my trips to Hawaii, I put my wooden bead bracelet on him, which created the distinction between his "head" from the rest of his "body". In 2005, Tom sewed a soft orange fleece sleeve to help me keep Wee Wee protected, and there were times around then where I attempted to keep him in a zip lock bag in my pillowcase in an effort to kick my finger rubbing habit (that didn't last long). I've slept with it almost every night of my life, except for the summer after sophomore year in college that I spent in Berkeley, CA (I accidentally left it at my old boyfriend parents' house- it fell under the bed as I packed up my bags and flew to Cali for the summer, and I was way too afraid to have it mailed so I went the entire summer without it.) As a child, when asked if someone hypothetically offered me a million dollars in exchange for WeeWee, the answer was "No way!" As an adult, it's the one possession of mine that I, under no circumstance, would be willing to give to Griffin.



Exhibit B: Lovie


Griffin has adopted his version of a "WeeWee". Est 2010, I call it Griffin's "Lovie"; it is a baby blue stuffed dog head attached to a swirly soft blanket, backed with satin, made by Blankets & Beyond. I found it at Marshalls for $6.99 and had the foresight to purchase 2; 1 goes to daycare and gets trashed/washed, while 1 stays home. Griffin absolutely lights up when he sees it, cries in despair when I try to take it away, and he snuggles with it every night. Since his latest transition to daycare, he has become especially attached to it, as Lovie is loyally performing his duties as a true "security blanket". Since Griff's gotten so addicted, I've bought 2 more off Ebay (at 3x the price-oops), and have also scoured every Marshalls and TJ Maxxs within a 20 mile radius. I felt like I won the lottery this past weekend when I found 3 more at the Marshalls in Niskayuna (two identical ones and third a white bear head version). I think I've purchased 7 in total. Some would call that ridiculous, but I call it sheer genius! :) Griffin will love me one day if he tragically loses his beloved Lovie, and I'll be a hero when I magically whip out a new one (or six) for him.

1 comment:

  1. So the trick is, you have to start rotating them all in now, so they are all equally worn. Otherwise they know its not the "real" one. We made this mistake with my sister and she never took to the stand-in when she lost the original "bunny." Luckily we found him...

    ReplyDelete