Contributors

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Biting Baby

The above picture was taken during our family trip to the Stone Zoo. Oh my, and how true the sign in the picture is: both baby black bears and my baby boy bite (say that 5x fast). It's been months now that Griffin has been leaving his teeth marks on my nipples (did I share too much information?), and as of late, he as been leaving little love marks my poor left shoulder. On occasion he even brakes skin. It freaking hurts like a b#(*@! So my issue is (other than the fact that Griffin now has 8 sharp teeth) that he does it sporadically, so it never becomes a big enough deal that I want to quit breastfeeding and put my boobs away forever, but it happens just enough to be super annoying, especially because I can't fix it!

My instinctual response to the biting has been to consistently say "No, don't bite" in a firm tone and to immediately stop nursing. In recent days my scolding has become a louder, more frustrated yell. I try to be as pissed as I can to prove a point, but man it's tough not to feel bad as soon as I even slightly raise my voice at my precious 'sack of potatoes'. Last week when Griff again tested my patience, I vigorously stormed up the stairs with him in my arms and plopped him in his crib for a few minutes alone in the dark.

Bleh, it makes me feel like such an inadequate parent that I can't get him to stop it. If anything, I think he thinks the biting is somehow amusing, like a game. And I know he's only 10.5 months and barely at an age where he can understand the word "no", but my inability to change Griff's behavior feels pathetic, and it causes me (well 10% of me) to needlessly worry about what kinds of tricks Future Griffin will have up his sleeve... What if he never learns to listen to me and he becomes that annoying kid who can throw a tantrum to get whatever he wants... oh no!
Maybe I should bite back? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment